Aaron Allston’s “Celebration of Life” Is Today
Several years ago, I met bestselling science-fiction writer Aaron Allston just before shooting started on his indie zombie movie, “Deadbacks.” I helped out a little on the film and many of my friends and my husband helped out a lot more, building sets and occasionally running the camera for the movie.
I was very sad to hear when Aaron passed away, but I was very glad to hear that there was going to be an open to the public event at Richard Garriott’s Castleton Village for people who knew and loved Aaron, as well as people whose lives he touched through his work.
Yesterday I asked the hostess of the event, Luray Richmond what I should wear for the celebration.
Luray told me that I should wear something with color, maybe one of the Hawaiian shirts that Aaron loved. Or maybe something in Cos-play? (Particularly Star Wars Cosplay.) She said that she didn’t want to see a wall of funeral black at the event!
Given that the event is on the lakeside, and the weather is changeable, you may want to bring a sweater, some bug spray and a small flashlight or headlamp. You will be walking on uneven ground, so choose your footwear to suit the terrain. (You can wear heels, but having spent a lot of time at Castleton, I really wouldn’t advise it!)
Please plan to arrive at 7400 Coldwater Canyon Drive, Austin, Texas before 6:30 p.m., and please follow the directions for parking when you arrive at the site.
I hope to see you there. It looks like the evening is going to be a fitting (and flaming) sendoff for a man whose imagination touched countless lives.
From the Evite for the event:
We welcome all friends, family and fans who wish to join with us to remember our beloved friend.
We encourage those who are willing to bring something to share for a pot luck dinner, and beverages of your choice. We also encourage people to bring chairs or a blanket to sit on. Come and share the evening and your memories of Aaron with all of us who loved him.
For the guests who wish to toast Aaron’s memory, we remind you to plan accordingly and to bring a designated driver if necessary. All food and beverages are “Bring Your Own”.
You may want to carpool with other friends due to the location. We hope to see you there. Please indicate how many folks you are bringing so that we get a headcount and know how many to expect.
• To get to the property, take your best route to 360 and 2222. Head west, away from town, on 2222.
• The first light is City Park Road. Turn left, headed up this very steep road.
• As soon as you reach the top of this hill, turn left on Bridge Point Parkway.
• Bridge Point Parkway leads past a very large home on your left and dead ends at Coldwater Canyon Drive. Turn right on Coldwater Canyon Drive and proceed down the hill, through the property gate, to the paved turnaround.
• At the paved turnaround, take the unpaved road following the signs that read, “Aaron Allston Memorial”. Please proceed slowly as this is a narrow two-way road that will take you down a steep hill to the lake frontage property. When you get to the bottom of the hill follow the parking guide instructions.
Questions ? Comments ? Want to invite others but don’t want to join Evite? Send me a note with email addresses attached. I won’t use them for anything else and the account will be deleted after the event anyhow.
email – firstname.lastname@example.org